New! John Tyler Tour, June 5
oin Historian Bill Potter, a former resident of Charles City County, Virginia as he leads a focused tour on the remarkable life of John Tyler, 10th President of the U.S. As a former neighbor of the Tylers and friend of President Tyler’s grandson, Harrison, Bill will discuss the Tylers’ important role in Virginia and national history and their contributions to the preservation of the memory and principles of a bygone age.
President John Tyler served the Commonwealth of Virginia as member of the House of Representatives, Governor of the state, Senator, Vice President, and President of the United States.
Tyler ancestral home
Family cemetery and the gravesite of Judge Tyler, who was the roommate of Thomas Jefferson at William and Mary!
Pristine Civil War fort preserved on the Tyler property
John Tyler Firsts:
- First President to ascend to the presidency from the vice presidency.
- First President to be widowed and then married while in office.
- First President to be born after the ratification of the United States Constitution.
- First President to die as a non-citizen of the U.S.
- First President to have grandchildren living in the 21st Century.
We hope you can spend the day with us studying the life of this unique and influential man. There is no other tour like it!
1 Sherwood Forest (Wikipedia.org)
2 Greenway Plantation (Wikipedia.org)